Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Are unisex names common in New Zealand?

They are in America, but I don't know if they are in NZ, would a girl named Dylan, Elliot or Blake ever get strange comments or anything?

Are unisex names common in New Zealand?
I would disagree with the person above actually - I think unisex names are very common here. I used to have a lot of clients all under the age of 20 (I managed children's trust funds) and a lot of them have unisex names.





However, those particular names you have mentioned are considered boys names here. Blake is probably one name which girls would have here but Dylan and Elliot are certainly boys. I am not sure if that makes sense - unisex names are common, those particular ones are not as unisex names.





Names like Taylor, Ashley Brooke (Brook), Robin (Robyn) etc are common. Admittedly Brooke and Robin aren't particularly unisex as their spellings differ depending on gender but people can't always be assured of that.





However, nicknames are very common here. And, the nicknames are often gender neutral. So, it is very very common to have people with names such as Stevie, Sam, Jack, Joe (although with an e is more common for boys it is becoming popular in girls names), Andy, Danny, Mike etc.





My particular group of friends all have quite girly full names. But together we are Andy, Sam, Jax, Jack and Tay.





No way of knowing who we are :)
Reply:Really? Well in NZ If a girl was named that it would be extremly odd (in my opinion) I've never meet a girl with those names you mentioned, would be weird to me lol.. There dead on boys names. After all these years of school don't see it much.. but I've seen like guys named Ashley and Ainsley. I knew the Ainsley and he changed his name to AJ but it's back to Ainsley now but he did get bad comments for it coz people would always be like oh yeah hes got a girls name... So no it's not very common and there would be some strange comments here and there...


No comments:

Post a Comment