Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Are unisex names common in England?

I know they are in America, but I don't know if they in the UK, would naming a girl Blake, Dylan or Mason cause problems do you think?

Are unisex names common in England?
Evelyn Waugh's first wife was also called Evelyn - they were known as "He-Evelyn" and "She-Evelyn".
Reply:there are unisex names, for instance Alex (for Alexander or Alexandra), Georgie (for George or Georgina) etc ... so they are around but I wouldn't necessarily say they're "common" ... the names you give (Blake, Dylan, Mason) are not common here in England (I don't know anyone with any of those names) but these days people are giving their children such unusual names that I doubt anyone would blink an eyelid ... in fact at work, on the form I have for taking down family details, I've added an extra column for the children so I can put down whether they're male or female because often it's very hard to tell from the name what they are


No comments:

Post a Comment